Seizure Training for School Personnel
CDC Course No. RPWD 2903
This free, interactive course is designed as a part of the school nurse training program. The Epilepsy Foundation developed "Seizure Training for School Personnel" in response to the need for a consistent educational tool to help promote a positive social and educational environment for students living with seizures and epilepsy.
Course modules include:
- Seizure and Epilepsy Basics
- Seizure Types and First Aid
- Seizure Triggers and Precipitants
- Seizures in School DVD
- Providing Academic and Social Support
By completing the course, school personnel will be able to:
- Recognize four common seizure types
- Identify three types of impacts that seizures have on students
- List three first aid steps for helping students having a seizure
- Recognize three aspects that make a seizure a medical emergency
- Define two basic aspects of social support for students with seizures
- Describe three ways to academically support students with seizures
You must watch the entire video to the end. When the video is completed, a green FINISH button will appear to the right of the video area. Click this button to acknowledge you have watched the video. If you do not click the green finish button, you will not be able to receive your certificate.
To begin, you first need to create an account. If you already have an account, please login and select the "Subscribe to Group" button above (an example of the button is included here).
This program is made possible with funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under cooperative agreement number 1U58DP0026256-02-00, CFDA 93.850. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the CDC.
Instructions for First Time Users
- Go the website: Learn.Epilepsy.com
- Click Create New Account and complete the various fields of information. The (*) denotes all required items.
- Create a unique user name and password. You will need these items to access your account in the future.
Write them down here: Username: __________________ Password: _______________
- Click “I am not a robot” and then “Create new account”.
- When the Home Page appears, Click the 2nd icon on the far left “Training Catalogue” which allows you to view a catalog of all classes that are available.
- Scroll along the Training Catalogue to find a class or filter the list be selecting from the course types.
- Select the Class heading hyperlink followed by clicking "Subscribe to Group" icon. Read the prompt and Click "Join".
- The system will open to the class home page.
- Read the instructional content on the home page of the course.
- Then Click the “Play” button icon located on the top right-hand section of the screen.
- Complete the pre-test. (if that is applicable)
- Scroll to the end of the page and Click “Finish". The system will begin the next lesson slideshow.
- Please Click "Next Lesson" after each lesson. Once you have completed all lessons within the course the prompt will be "Back to Class".
- Once back to the Class Home Page select the next Course heading hyperlink and Click “play” icon.
- Repeat step (10) & (11) until you have completed the entire class.
To access suggested material please follow the below two steps.
If there is pretest you must complete the pretest before gaining access for course materials
- Click the heading of the course material you want to access
- Click the “File fold” icon
- Go to this website: Learn.Epilepsy.com
- Enter your username and password in the white Log In box on the top right side of the page and then click “I’m not a robot” and then “Login.”
- When the Home Page appearss, click on the 3rd icon “My Classes”.
- Click on Class you previously started
- Click the play icon at the top right to begin where you left off
- Once you have completed lessons/videos click next lesson. Once you have completed all lessons within a course the prompt will be "Back to Course". Please select this option.
- Once back at the beginning of the course select "Back to Class" button on the top left.
- Once back to class select the next.
- When you have successfully completed all courses in the class and all evaluations, click on “My Achievements” to view and print your certificate.
The LMS certificate of completion can be found on the home page of the class or the home page of the Module 1 by clicking “Your Certificate” icon. To access the CEUs after class completion you will need to access the CDC TCEO website. The instructions are listed on the 2nd page of the course completions certificate.
- After completing a class,
- Login or create a new account on TCEO (www.cdc.gov/GetCE).
- Search for the class you completed.
- Scroll down and click on the title of the course.
- Review the information on the Course Summary page and click Continue.
- Enter in the Course Code that was provided on your certificate of completion from Epilepsy Foundation in the Course Access Code box and click Continue.
- Choose the type of continuing education you’d like to earn. You can select more than one.
- Select the sessions of the conference that you attended. At the top of the page click Save Selections.
- Under Pending CE, complete the Evaluation for the session you attended and then complete the Posttest
- Visit the Completed CE section of the My Activities page to download your certificate.
Watch in full screen
Go to the video you'd like to watch.
At the bottom of the video player, click full screen .
Exit full screen
At the bottom of the video player, click full screen exit . You can also exit full screen by pressing "Esc" on your keyboard.
If you have problems viewing videos, make sure you have the most up-to-date version of your browser.
Who can take the course?
Anyone can take the course to learn about epilepsy in the school house settings, but the content is intended for school personnel who want an introduction to seizure identification and first aid strategies, including:
- Classroom teachers
- Special education teachers
- Teacher assistants
- School bus drivers
- IEP/504 Plan Team Members
- Health Educators
- Other staff members or volunteers in grades K-12
Are there any prerequisites to take the course?
There are no prerequisites to take the course.
How long does it take to complete the course?
Time to complete the course varies by each user. There is 1 required module in the training, and 1 supporting resource module which takes approximately 60 minutes to complete.
What materials or equipment do I need to take the course?
How do I get credit for taking the course?
Upon completing the course, you must complete the online posttest and evaluation. Refer to the Instructions for Course Credit below.
How long is the posttest?
CEU: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is authorized by IACET to offer (0.1) CEU's for this program.
CECH: Sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. This program is designated for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES®) and/or Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES®) to receive up to <1.0> total Category I continuing education contact hours. Maximum advanced level continuing education contact hours available are <0>. CDC provider number 98614.
For Certified Public Health Professionals (CPH)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a pre-approved provider of Certified in Public Health (CPH) recertification credits and is authorized to offer (1) CPH recertification credits for this program.
DISCLOSURE: In compliance with continuing education requirements, all presenters must disclose any financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters as well as any use of unlabeled product(s) or product(s) under investigational use.
CDC, our planners, presenters, and their spouses/partners wish to disclose they have no financial interests or other relationships with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. Planners have reviewed content to ensure there is no bias.
Planning committee reviewed content to ensure there is no bias.
Content will not include any discussion of the unlabeled use of a product or a product under investigational use.
If CNE Joint Provider: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Epilepsy Foundation are jointly providing the CNE for this activity.
CDC did not accept commercial support for this activity.
In order to receive continuing education (CE) for RP2903-SEIZURE TRAINING FOR SCHOOL PERSONNEL MANAGING STUDENTS WITH SEIZURES: THE IMPORTANCE OF SCHOOL NURSES] please visit TCEO and follow these 9 Simple Steps before [9/2/18]
Add this statement to the instructions if the course has an access code.
The course access code is [insert code].
Complete the activity
Complete the Evaluation at www.cdc.gov/Get CE
Pass the posttest at __80____% at www.cdc.gov/GetCE
FEES: There are no fees for CE. Use Registration Fee for cost if appropriate