Training for School Personnel
Approx. 50 minutes.
Training for School Personnel is designed for people who work with children and youth in school settings. This program provides an overview of seizures and epilepsy, seizure first aid, seizure action plans, rescue therapies, seizure emergencies and how to support students in school settings. This course is appropriate for school nurses, teachers, aides, coaches, administrators and anyone who works in a school setting.
1. Recognize 3 common seizure types
2. Describe 3 seizure first aid steps to assist a student having a seizure
3. Recognize 3 key factors that would make a seizure a medical emergency
4. Describe 3 ways to support students living with epilepsy
The Seizure Training for School Personnel lessons includes a pre-test, video lesson, and post-test. These lessons must be taken in order. The pre-test must be completed before gaining access to the video lesson. The video lesson must be reviewed in its entirety and post-test must be passed to successfully complete this training and receive a certificate of completion.
Continuing education units are not yet available for this revised training.
Please contact your local Epilepsy Foundation office to request in-person training.
How to Access the Class
- Select the Class heading "Seizure Training for School Personnel" (found above lessons), then the "Subscribe to Group" icon. Read the prompt and click "Join."
- The system will open to the class home page.
- Click the “Play” button icon located on the top right-hand section of the screen.
- Complete the lessons in order starting with the pre-test. The pre-test must be completed before gaining access to the video lesson.
- Select the “Next” button after each pre-test question.
- After the last pre-test question, select “Finish."
- Under the "Lessons" menu click the Seizure Training for School Personnel Video Lesson link. Watch the entire video and at the end select “Finish."
- On the Lesson Completed page, select "Next Lesson" to move on to the post-test.
- Complete the post-test. After the last post-test question, select “Finish." If at least 80% of the post-test questions are answered correctly, a Lesson Completed page will appear with instructions on how to print the certificate of completion.
Instructions for Returning User
- Login to this website, Learn.Epilepsy.com
- Click “I’m not a robot” and complete the captcha click then “Login.”
- When the Home Page appears, click on the 3rd icon on the left navigation menu “My Trainings.” Click on the “Play” icon on Seizure Training for School Personnel you previously started.
If returning to only print your certificate, click on the 3rd icon on the left navigation menu “My Trainings.” Select the green download icon next to the progress bar, and the certificate will automatically download for printing. Or Click on the course link and when on the course page, click on Your Certificate icon, and the certificate will automatically download for printing.
Updated: September 2019
This program is made possible with funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under grant number NU58DP006256-02-00, CFDA 93.850. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of THE CDC.